Writers on Wednesday: Kellie Wallace



Tell me a bit about yourself …

I'm a Sydney based author with five books traditionally published. I've been writing for as long as I can remember. I wrote my first 'novel' when I was 12 and decided it was something I wanted to do in my life.

I love to write. It transports me to another time and place and  it allows me to be someone else for a little while. I'm always thinking about writing, my brain doesn't stop with possible characters, ideas, titles, themes. It can be exhausting!

I'm currently submitting my next historical fiction and writing my first science fiction.

I live with my husband and two budgies.

Tell us about your most recently published book?

My next release is my first dystopian Edge of Tomorrow in April. I wrote it during a difficult time and it sapped all my energy and passion. Its partially inspire by the Hunger Games and the Maze Runner.

I've always had an interest in 'end of the world', 'post apocalyptic' ideologies and decided to put my writing to the test. It took 6 months and many more months in editing and submitting. It will be published by Soul Mate Publishing.

Tell us about the first time you were published?

I self published for the first time in 2007. A colleague at the time suggested a Queensland based publishing house her sister had used. Back then, I didn't know paying to have your books published (through a vanity publisher) wasn't the norm. I had to convince my family it was what all authors did.
 It cost me $2200 but it was a steep learning curve and opened a whole new world to me. I didn't sell any copies but I was proud to have my first book published by 22 years old.

As writer, what has been your proudest achievement so far?

To have my books in print.

What books or writing projects are you currently working on, if anything?

I'm currently writing my first science fiction called Fluency (name pending) and I'm writing bits and pieces of another crime/drama novel called Belcourt which I started penning in January 2014.

Which do you prefer? eBooks or Paper Books? Why?

I like the convenience and freedom of ebooks but I love paper books, especially for an author. Nothing beats having all your hard work in your hands.

Indie Publishing, or Traditional Publishing?

I've only self published once so I can't really compare. I like traditional publishing because you have the backing and support of a publisher. I can never go back to self pubbing. I don't like relying on my own decisions. Traditional publishing all the way.

Aside from your own books, of course, what is one book that you feel everybody should read?

That's easy. Cry Wolf by Tami Hoag. I first read it in 2005 and fell deeply in love. I've read it probably 100 times in the past ten years.

It resonated with me and I think it stemmed my love for the South in America. Her characters, settings, descriptions are so real you think you're there in the pages.

A few years ago I was seriously thinking of writing a screenplay based on her book because it has great movie potential.

Finally … is there anything you would like to say to your readers in Adelaide, Australia?

I hope you enjoy reading my books!

Links

facebook.com/kelliewallacebooks

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peppermint Patty: I Cried and Cried and Cried

Who Else Writes Like V.C. Andrews?

Phrases and Idioms: Tickets on Himself